The Institute for Distance and Distributed Learning provides leadership, coordination, management and support to the distance and distributed learning (eLearning) activities of Virginia Tech. As an academic enterprise, the Institute works collaboratively across the university community to:
- electronically extend Virginia Tech's campus throughout the Commonwealth and beyond;
- provide an open learning environment where teaching and learning occur anytime and anyplace;
- share the practical applications of the university's knowledge and expertise to benefit society and support the economic vitality of Virginia;
- increase Virginia Tech's access to the world and the world's access to Virginia Tech;
- research eLearning environments and emerging technologies.
Virginia Tech will be a world-class leader in eLearning transcending the barriers of time and place to offer new knowledge for a global community.
In support of this vision the Institute for Distance and Distributed Learning will:
- Employ a holistic approach to distance and distributed learning;
- Provide eLearning knowledge and expertise to university leadership;
- Encourage a learner-centered approach to education;
- Provide accessible and scalable teaching and learning resources and support services for students, faculty and staff;
- Ensure that distance learning efforts are committed to quality and continuous improvement and meet new learner requirements and expectations;
- Actively participate in and support teaching, research and outreach;
- Be an adaptive learning organization that recognizes excellence and encourages innovation and collaboration.
In support of our efforts, the Institute for Distance and Distributed Learning affirms the following shared core values:
- A shared vision;
- An environment of integrity, trust, and open communication;
- An ideal of excellence, fostered by a belief in quality, teamwork and service;
- An esprit de corps personified by a positive attitude toward our work;
- A spirit of courage and risk-taking that nurtures creativity and innovation; and,
- An appreciation and respect of diverse backgrounds and opinions.